I thought I’d share my favorite scone recipe with you today. I’ve actually made it for dinner tonight…paired with a salad it’s an easy, quick meal, which is what I need on a night like tonight when Dad’s gone (gotta love the military) and I’ve got practices to sit through, and 5 hungry mouths to feed! This really couldn’t be any easier…I hope you get the chance to try it!
2 Cups flour
1 TBS Baking Powder
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
3 Tbs. chilled butter (cut into small pieces)
3/4 Cup shredded or diced extra sharp cheddar cheese (or whatever is in the fridge)
3/4 Cup diced ham
3/4 Cup buttermilk (Fat-Free works too)
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender (hands work just as well here).
3. Stir in cheese and ham.
4. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in separate bowl; add to the flour mixture & stir just until moist.
5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly a couple of times; pat into about an 8 in. circle (think small pizza) onto baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
6. Lightly cut dough into 8 wedges..don’t cut all the way through the dough!
7. Bake at 400 for about 18-20 min. or until lightly browned.