I thought I’d share my favorite scone recipe with you today. I’ve actually made it for dinner tonight…paired with a salad it’s an easy, quick meal, which is what I need on a night like tonight when Dad’s gone (gotta love the military) and I’ve got practices to sit through, and 5 hungry mouths to feed! This really couldn’t be any easier…I hope you get the chance to try it!
2 Cups flour
1 TBS Baking Powder
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
3 Tbs. chilled butter (cut into small pieces)
3/4 Cup shredded or diced extra sharp cheddar cheese (or whatever is in the fridge)
3/4 Cup diced ham
3/4 Cup buttermilk (Fat-Free works too)
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender (hands work just as well here).
3. Stir in cheese and ham.
4. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in separate bowl; add to the flour mixture & stir just until moist.
5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly a couple of times; pat into about an 8 in. circle (think small pizza) onto baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
6. Lightly cut dough into 8 wedges..don’t cut all the way through the dough!
7. Bake at 400 for about 18-20 min. or until lightly browned.
*Sometimes I serve this with apricot jelly on the side for dipping or spreading! YUM!
3 Comments Add yours
I’m so happy you shared your scone recipe with us.. I’ve always wanted to try making one so I will try this.
Thanks for visiting my blog! Good luck with the scone….I think you’ll love it!
Scones are one of my favorite things to make, they’re so easy. This one sounds delicious, I’ll have to try it!